Heritage Roofing Inc is an approved ‘Ministry of Labour’ (IHSA) training provider for the ‘Working at Heights’ training program in Ontario.
The Ontario MOL’s ‘Working at Heights / Fall Protection’ training program standard
We have received many calls with regard to the new Working at Heights Training Program Standard from the Ontario Ministry of Labour. Employers need to understand that the buzz is about a new training standard that came into effect April 1, 2015, impacting the Construction Sector.
The Ontario Ministry of Labour (MOL) will enforce the Working at Heights Training Program Standard once it becomes a Regulation, and once it becomes a Regulation it will become mandatory – see more information at this link http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/hs/topics/heights.php .
In the past, the MOL has provided employers the necessary time to become compliant with any new Regulations. For instance, Bill 168 regarding Workplace Violence and Harassment allowed a 6-month compliance window for employers. At a recent safety conference, the MOL’s Joe O’Grady stated that employers will be provided with a 2-year period to become compliant with the Regulation once it comes into effect.
About Heritage Roofing’s Working at Heights Instructor led program
Employers, supervisors and workers all have responsibilities in reducing or eliminating falls from heights. Falls are the leading cause of accidental death and injury in Ontario. Every day, 80 people are injured from falls at work. On average, each injury results in 4 weeks of lost time (WSIB 2000). Heritage Roofing uses the prescribed training program from IHSA to ensure we meet or exceed the new Ministry of Labour Working at Heights training requirements.
To equip workers and employers with the knowledge necessary to prevent fall-related injuries and deaths from occurring in the workplace.
- To provide a thorough understanding of fall protection with a focus on personal fall protection systems that increases worker safety while working at heights.
- A combination of theory and practical components utilizing various teaching methods to appeal to all learning styles and hands-on training provided.
Any individual working at heights or directs workers to work at heights above 3 meters (10 feet) or preferably from above 6 feet*. All ‘Construction’ workers or those considered to be working on ‘Construction Projects’ will be required to successfully complete the Ontario MOL Working at Heights training program.
Working at Heights / Fall Protection Training Highlights
The purpose of this course is to provide knowledge on the effective selection, use and care of fall protection equipment and understand when and how it is required, at a minimum. The following topics are covered:
- Fall Protection, Fall Arrest and Fall Restraint differentiations
- Regulations and Legislation
- Hazards and Controls
- Fall Prevention
- Fall Protection Principles, Systems and Components
- Proper donning and fitting of the harness
- Equipment Inspection, Care and Maintenance
- Travel Restraint systems
- Fall Restricting systems
- Fall Arrest systems
- Safety nets
- Work belts or safety belts
Approximately 7.5 hours at training location or can be arranged at your location.
Course Completion and Review
A detailed record of training, test results, practical evaluations and wallet certificates provided. A formal annual review of Fall Prevention training is recommended and ongoing site-specific training is required.
* NOTE: 75% of work-related falls occur between 6 ft -10 ft. OSHA regulated sites are more stringent and adhere to a 6 ft threshold for fall protection as do some corporate health and safety policies. The Canada Labour Code requires fall protection at 8 ft.
Please contact our office for further details on Working at Heights / Fall Protection / Fall Arrest training.
Public Training Programs
All of our Training programs are offered at your workplace. For individuals or small groups wanting to take advantage of our regularly scheduled PUBLIC programs call to register for any of the following upcoming dates:
Working at Heights (MOL approved 7.5 hr program)
- Please Contact the office for current dates. Al courses begin at 8am and generally take place at the Leamington Roma Club.
- Check for Chatham public sessions
Register Now! Call 519-324-9690 for details